The courses will be defined from the results of the industry-wide consultation currently underway. Many of the short courses will form part of full apprenticeships, with modules being selected to create a package of learning. The modules can also be taken as standalone courses if someone wants to focus on a specific area of learning; this may be useful for those already engaged in the trade who wish to learn more about certain areas.
Possible courses include:
- Introduction to firearms, including history, safety and the law – for those new to the industry;
- Introduction to engraving and further engraving courses;
- Introduction to Chequering and further Chequering courses;
- Servicing a firearm and further modules;
- Firearm repair and further modules;
- Firearm design and further modules;
- Firearm manufacture and further modules;
- Shooting disciplines and etiquette;
- An introduction to Actioning a firearm, with further learning available;
- An introduction to stocking a firearm, with further learning available;
- An introduction to finishing a firearm, with further learning available;
- Many more.
We will also be working with existing training providers to support the industry with potential funding for their courses.